The Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) at UCSF sponsors an open Request for Applications (RFA) for Pilot and Feasibility Grants yearly, which provides funding for investigators to pursue novel and promising ideas relevant to nutrition, obesity, and metabolism research. The NORC P&F Program is funded through a Center grant from NIDDK to encourage new directions in diabetes research regardless of a laboratory’s historical research focus. NORC Pilot and Feasibility Program support is intended to develop new directions in diabetes research.
UCSF Pilot funding of up to $50,000 per application is available for a period of 12 months from the time of award.
Grantees must participate and present in the yearly Diabetes Center Nutrition and Obesity retreat. Sufficient financial support and mentoring during the P&F funding year is intended to aid the research project to eventually secure extramural (preferably NIH) funding. Publications resulting the P&F award must acknowledge NORC Award P30DK098722.
Faculty who meet the following eligibility criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Early-stage investigators engaged in nutrition, obesity, and metabolism.
- Established investigators who wish to redirect aspects of their research programs to nutrition, obesity, and metabolism.
- Established investigators interested in developing entirely new research directions in nutrition, obesity, and metabolism.
The reviewers will examine proposals for innovative research that will generate data sufficient for future extramural funding opportunities directly related to nutrition and obesity. Collaborative efforts with UCSF Faculty currently engaged in diabetes-related research may better enable completion of approved research programs. Collaborative projects with colleagues at UCB/Buck Institute/CHORI are encouraged, but PI needs to hold primary appointment at UCSF. Please contact Holly Ingraham ([email protected]) if more information is needed.
Submit compiled PDF that contains the following information to Ms. Anne Sufka via email: anne.su[email protected] by stated deadline:
- Cover Page - Title of Project, Name(s), Title, Department, Contact Info, and Pre-Award Departmental Contact
- Research Plan - Not to exceed 2 pages excluding references - 0.5“ margins, Arial/Times 11 font.
- Budget and Budget Justification
- NIH Biosketch of PI (and Co-PI, if applicable)
Applications are pre-reviewed by a board consisting of the Director of the UCSF NORC and the leaders of the NORC research programs. Selected applications are subsequently sent out to 2 extramural reviewers. The NORC board makes funding decisions based upon the reviews and portfolio balance. All required approvals must be completed before funding is released.
CENTER MEMBERS ARE REMINDED TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE UCSF NORC GRANT CONTRIBUTION IN THEIR PUBLICATION (P30DK098722)