Brian Feldman, PhD | Director
The Pilot and Feasibility (P&F) Program is a major pillar on which the success of the UCSF-NORC is built. This program awards grants of $50,000 to projects that are meant to be exploratory in nature, allowing applicants to collect preliminary data needed for subsequent larger grant applications. An average of three awards of $50,000 are funded per year.
The intentions of this program relate directly to the major UCSF-NORC goal of strengthening a growing interactive community of nutrition and obesity researchers by:
- Enabling new investigators and junior faculty to establish NORC-relevant research programs.
- Attracting established scientists to the fields of nutritional sciences, obesity, and related disorders.
- Fostering highly innovative directions in basic and clinical nutrition- and obesity-related research, including clinical studies in minority and other underserved patient groups.
- Developing new and innovative collaborations among NORC investigators and between NORC investigators and other faculty.
- Encouraging and promoting the effective and consistent use of the UCSF-NORC Core resources.
Eligibility criteria are clearly outlined in the Request For Application (RFA) announcement on the RAP and NORC websites. Adherence to these criteria is verified at different stages of the application process, initially by the P&F Director and the Internal Review Committee, then by the external reviewer(s), and finally by the Executive Committee. The UCSF-NORC P&F Program accepts proposals from all eligible UCSF faculty to explore new and/or high-risk initiatives in basic or clinical obesity and/or nutritional sciences research. In addition, we will continue to extend the applicant pool by inviting applicants from UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC Santa Cruz and the Buck institute on Aging.
NIH review criteria (Significance, Investigators, Innovation, Approach, Environment) will be used. The reviewers will examine proposals for innovative research that will generate data sufficient for future extramural funding opportunities broadly related to metabolism, obesity and nutrition. Collaborative efforts with UCSF Faculty currently engaged in related research may better enable completion of approved research programs. Collaborative projects with colleagues at UCSF, UC Berkeley or UC Davis are encouraged.
At each review cycle following the receipt of NORC P&F Program applications, P&F Director appoints an internal P&F Committee, taking into account conflict of interest. The application is then sent to external reviewers for review and provide scores based on the NORC criteria.
NORC IS ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR 2020 SPRING ROUND. PLEASE APPLY HERE:
CENTER MEMBERS ARE REMINDED TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE UCSF NORC GRANT CONTRIBUTION IN THEIR PUBLICATION (P30DK098722)